Anti-reservation protest: Several detained as crowd gathers at Delhi’s Connaught Place

Home Events Anti-reservation protest: Several detained as crowd gathers at Delhi’s Connaught Place
Spread the love

Anti-reservation protest: Several detained as 300 gather at Delhi’s Connaught Place
Police detained over 20 protesters for demonstrating without permission

NEW DELHI: Around 300 people gathered at Connaught Place’s outer circle in Delhi on Sunday to protest against caste-based reservation and seek changes in the existing quota system, with police detaining more than 20 protesters for holding the demonstration without permission, officials said.The protesters raised slogans and carried placards, calling for greater weight to be given to economic criteria while deciding eligibility for reservation and government support. They argued that assistance should reach economically disadvantaged people regardless of caste.Police said more than 20 people who gathered at Connaught Place were detained and removed from the site as no permission had been granted for the demonstration.A police presence was maintained at Connaught Place as the gathering was cleared.One of the key demands raised by the protesters was the introduction of a creamy-layer criterion and a review of the existing reservation framework.They also sought changes to policies concerning Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes, PTI reported.“We are not against reservation. We want reforms in reservation. The government should understand that poor people from all communities also face difficulties and their concerns should be heard,” a protester said.Another participant said the existing system should be reviewed to ensure that its benefits reached those who genuinely needed support.The protesters also raised concerns over the University Grants Commission framework and the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, seeking a broader review of policies they said affected opportunities in education and employment.The demonstration was part of a larger mobilisation that has primarily taken place through social media. The “Reservation Hatao Andolan”, an Instagram-based page with around 5.6 million followers, had called on its followers to join a physical demonstration in Delhi after building an online campaign around reservation reforms.Two days earlier, hundreds of people had gathered at Jantar Mantar following the campaign’s call. Police detained several protesters after they assembled at the site.At the same time, a separate police-approved demonstration under the same banner had been allowed at Ramlila Ground for up to 500 people until 4pm.(With agency inputs)


Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

× Free India Logo
Welcome! Free India